Franklin, TN – No one was injured but three families have been displaced due to a fire Friday morning at the Meadowview Apartments, 801 Del Rio Pike.
The Franklin Fire Department responded around 9:40 a.m. to Building I, a two story, 16-unit building.
Franklin Fire Marshal Andy King said the fire started in a vacant second floor unit that was being renovated. He said it is believed to have been caused by the stove being inadvertently turned on with combustibles on top of it.
King said a neighbor heard the smoke alarm and upon investigation discovered the fire. He called 911 then used a fire extinguisher on the blaze, but was unable to put it out. He then proceeded to alert occupants and help evacuate the building.
In addition to the apartment of origin, three other units were damaged. Apartment management is assisting those displaced.
The building, which was constructed in 1982, was not equipped with automatic fire sprinklers. King estimated damage at $100,000 with the building valued at $1 million.