Current Williamson County Schools students were honored with a medal for earning a perfect ACT composite score at the August 21, 2017, Williamson County Board of Education meeting. Brentwood High’s Brandon Huynh, Coby Warkentin and Namrah Ajmal; Independence High’s Maxwell Coil and Tyler Hart; and Ravenwood High’s Gabrielle Liu and Clara Miller earned a 36 on the test administered during the 2016-17 school year. Centennial High’s William Ward and Ravenwood’s Andrea Huang and Sarah Preston earned a perfect 36 during on the June test.
In the Superintendent’s Report, Dr. Mike Looney reported that teacher attendance was excellent on Eclipse Day while student attendance was not as good. He also called on Deputy Superintendent Jason Golden who reminded the Board that they had no authority in the hiring or termination of employees.
In the Board Chairman’s Report, Gary Anderson reminded the Board of the TSBA district fall meeting. Later in the evening, he shared that District 10 Board member Beth Burgos has resigned her seat effective August 31 and thanked her for her service.
In New Business, the Board:
- Approved a Student Bill of Rights, created by the Superintendent’s Student Advisory Council.
- Approved four General Purpose School Fund Budget Amendments for Carry Forward Reserves, CTE State Grant, LEAP Grant and United Way Grant.
- Approved an Education Capital Outlay Fund Resolution for Franklin High School Intent to Fund.
- Approved a request for change order over $50,000.
- Approved Board Parameters for the 2018-2019 school calendar.
- Approved Classified Pay Chart edits.
- Approved five policies on first reading including Purchasing; Interscholastic Athletics; Family and Community Engagement in Educational Programs; Report Cards and Grading Systems Use; and Parking of Private Motor Vehicles on School Property.
In other business, the Board:
- Approved recommended field trip fee requests.
- Approved five policies on second reading including Community Use of School Facilities, Athletic Facilities, Public Records Request, Sick Bank-Teacher and Tutoring for Pay.
- Approved the 2017-2018 Annual Agenda.
- Approved outstanding purchase orders for School Activity Funds.
- Approved Sick Leave Bank Trustees.
- Approved a sign replacement at Nolensville Elementary School.
- Approved the Nolensville Hills Church of Christ lease at Nolensville High School.
- Approved The Gathering at 840 lease at Page Middle School.
The next regular meeting of the Williamson County Board of Education is scheduled for Monday, September 18, 2017, beginning at 6:30 p.m. in the auditorium of the Administrative Complex.
Board packet information can be found on the school district’s website. Select “About WCS”; select “Board Meeting Schedule”; and select the meeting date. Supporting documents are linked from the agenda.